Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Fall (Plantinga Ch.3)

Everyone, Christians and non Christians alike, knows that there is something wrong with life. Everyone, regardless of their background, knows that when children starve it is a bad thing. We are all aware of this virus called sin that infects everything in this life. This is part of why we all know there must be something more. Because of sin we feel the need to hope.

What struck me most about this reading was the section on corruption. Personally I have a problem with this. Once I have done something that I should not have done I try and justify it. And once I justify this wrong I feel that there is no reason not to do it again. Once corrupted in this way I find more wrong things, which I like to believe are okay, to do. This comes from the corrupted people around me, but I realize that it is mainly my fault. I choose to sin.

Another thing I found interesting was the whole concept of sin being a twisting of the good. I have always viewed sin as a seperate thing from good. I knew God did not create sin, but still the two things we call good and evil were always seperate in my mind. Now I agree with what Plantinga has written. An example he uses is that the Nazi's gifted minds were a good thing, a gift from God. But the problem was that they used their gift for evil. Therefore, sin is a twisted good.

No comments:

Post a Comment